Learn About The Natural World & The Unique Creatures Who Inhabit It. Bringing a group to HMNS or HMNS Sugar Land? Explore science, nature and history in our interactive science labs which feature specimens, artifacts and laboratory equipment.
Each lab lasts one hour and accommodates up to 25 students. Labs cost range between $200 and *$250 per lab (for Dissection Lab*) and include admission to the Museum’s Permanent Exhibit Halls for participating students and their chaperones.
- South American Adventure (September at HMNS and September 27th in Sugar Land) – Rainforests! Grasslands! Deserts! Savannahs! South America has it all! Take your imagination on a trek through some of the most famous habitats in the world as we study South American wildlife.
- Great Barrier Reef (November at HMNS and November 15th in Sugar Land) – This UNESCO World Heritage Site houses beneficial corals, migratory vertebrates, nefarious sponges and more. Dive into the intricate relationships between these species in this lab.
- Sixth (and Seventh, and Eighth, and Ninth) Sense (December at HMNS and December 13th in Sugar Land) – We’ve all heard of the five senses; hearing, taste, touch, smell and sight, but there are many more than that. Unveil the world we are missing out on, through animals that have unique methods for sensing heat, pressure, electrical fields and more!
- Moldy Oldies (February at HMNS and February 21st in Sugar Land) – Many animals live just as long, if not longer than people, and one might even have the gift of immortality! Discover how they do it in this lab.
- Bugs in Balance (March at HMNS and March 28th in Sugar Land) – Under rocks, in trees, in the soil and all around us, bugs keep environments healthy and thriving. Peek into this secret world of workers as we learn more about beneficial bugs.
- Wacky Weapons (April at HMNS and April 25th in Sugar Land) – Animals have some weird weaponry, from spiky mustaches to built-in water guns. Learn more about peculiar animal defenses in this lab that is appropriate for all ages.
- Cats! (An off-Broadway Production) (May at HMNS and May 23rd in Sugar Land) – Meow! No other animal has learned to boss us around quite like cats. Join this lab to learn about various adaptations of wild and domestic cats, and handle felid specimens from our collection. This class will not include a live feline interaction, so it is safe for individuals with cat allergies.