Full-dome presentations covering the solar system, earth science, ancient history, the human body, and more take students on incredible adventures.
Whether it’s soaring through the galaxy or driving monster trucks on the moon, The Discovery Dome takes audiences on a journey not possible anywhere else.
Our portable inflatable dome theater brings stars, planets, dinosaurs, volcanoes, tornadoes, DNA and much more to your school or group – with over 30 different films to choose from! Scripts and preview videos on DVD are available for many of the shows. Most shows offer Spanish versions as well! Preview your Discovery Dome show, or check out this brochure with all of our options!.
Each full-dome film or live presentation lasts 30 minutes, and you may choose several presentations in the same visit. Extended and late scheduling hours are also available.
NEW! Telescope & Stargazing Add-On
Our telescope add-on will give your students an opportunity to explore the universe through another lens, literally. With this add-on, one of our Discovery Dome operators will set-up a telescope after your Discovery Dome shows to explain the mechanisms behind the equipment and guide students through identification techniques. Students will enjoy star gazing or solar spotting outside (weather permitting) or in the comfort of our own Discovery Dome. Each participant will get a chance to look through the telescope to identify various celestial objects as our operator explains how we are able to study worlds far beyond our own. This program is available for both day and evening programs. The telescope add-on is $150 for half-day, full-day, and extended-day Discovery Dome programs.
*The telescope add-on is only available with the booking of a Discovery Dome. It is not available as a standalone program. The telescope add-on can be offered rain or shine, so no refunds are offered for inclement weather. Please note that Discovery Dome shows and telescope operation cannot happen simultaneously unless you book two separate programs. If you are interested in offering Discovery Dome shows and telescope instruction at the same time, we would be happy to provide a quote.
Download TEKS-based objectives below.
These documents include specific TEKS correlations, activities to prepare your class for the outreach presentation, vocabulary covered in the presentation, and activities to reinforce what students have learned.
Details and Restrictions
- Capacity: Maximum of 30 students per presentation
- Grades: Pre-K – Adult
- There is a mileage fee for locations more than 20 miles from the Museum.
- Half Day: $425 3 hours / up to 5 sessions
- Full Day: $525 5 hours / up to 9 sessions
- Extended Day: $625 7 hours / up to 13 sessions
- Complement your journey to outer space with a presentation of Docents To Go: Astronomy and the all-new Science Start: Space in the Space Exploration package! Continue your study of geology and Earth’s processes with a Chevron Earth Science on Wheels Know Your Rocks program and a Docents To Go: Rocks and Minerals class in the Geology Jam package! After taking a look at the starry night over the Lone Star State, continue your study of Texas with the Traversing Texas package! This includes programs on Texas wildlife, Native Americans, migration patterns, and energy resources (available in Fall 2015). Add on a ConocoPhillips Science On Stage Motion Commotion program and a Chevron Earth Science on Wheels alternative energy program (available Fall 2015) to experience the Technological Wonders package!