Parking for Summer Scouts
Summer is always a busy time at the Houston Museum of Natural Science! Please allow yourself some extra time when bringing your child to, and collecting your child from, our Summer Scouts Classes. As always, Summer Scouts patrons are able to park in any spot in the museum garage. You may exit the HMNS garage with a Summer Scouts parking coupon which needs to be presented to the attendant upon exiting the garage. These coupons are available for pick up in your child’s classroom. Scout drop-off begins at 9:10, and Summer Scouts classes begin at 9:30. Scout pick-up begins at 2:30 with a 25 minute grace period to address parking. Any scout not picked up by 3:30 will be escorted to After Class on the Lower Level of the museum. Rest assured, we will keep your scout safe until you arrive!
For scouts who are 12 years of age and older, permission may be given to allow themselves to sign in and out of class. Scouts will be released at 2:30 and escorted up to the entrance, near the Butterfly Center on Hermann Park Drive. Parents will pick up their child from this location only and will not be able to park in this loading area. All scouts who have not been picked up by 3:30, will be escorted back to After Class on the lower level of the museum, and a parent will have to come in and sign them out of class. A parent must be present on Monday morning in the classroom to give permission for their scout to check themselves in and out.
After Class Self-Checkout
Due to poor phone reception on the lower level of the museum, parents will need to call the scout office at 713-639-4702, before their child can be released from After Class. Please have a designated location for picking up your scout that you have discussed with them beforehand.
View an Area Parking Map at http://www.hmns.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Area-Parking-Map-Camp.pdf
- Additional free parking options include:
- Free 3-hour parking lot in the new Garden Center (Lot C)
- Metered parking on the streets around the Museum District
- Free 3-hour parking lot directly off the Circle, by the statue of Sam Houston (Lot A)
- Free daily parking near the Zoo (Lots D, E, F, G, and H)
- Additional paid parking options (at your own cost):
- Metered parking around the Museum District Museum Medical Tower
- Children’s Museum
- Holocaust Museum parking lot
- The MetroRail – The “Museum District” stop is only 3 blocks from HMNS.