Position: Animal Care Technician – Houston Museum of Natural Science in Sugar Land
Job Description: To facilitate the care and feeding of the live animal populations at the HMNS facility in Sugar Land, located at 13016 University Blvd. Sugar Land, Texas 77479
Employment Status: Part-time salary
Salary: Starting at $8.00 per hour
Hours: Up to 25 hours/week
(Hours vary based on needs and availability)
Dates: Beginning June 2019
- Qualifications and Requirements
- Previous experience in caring for aquariums and a variety of animals, in particular amphibians.
- Must be comfortable handling and feeding live animals
- Impeccable record keeping
- Comfortable lifting large items, approximately 40 lbs
- Must have a positive attitude and show strong initiative
- Not squeamish around bodily fluids
- Can remain calm in crisis/emergency situations
- Organized, detail-oriented, reliable, a self-starter and ready to ask questions
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Able to meet required deadlines
- Flexible, personable and able to multi-task
- Interest in working in a museum and educational environment
- Access to a reliable vehicle
Responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain a 2000 gallon salt water tank with a variety of live animals on a daily basis. This work involves water quality testing, making salt water, cleaning and feeding.
- Maintain small native and exotic amphibian terrariums on a daily basis. This work involves feeding and handling animals and cleaning cages.
- Maintain accurate records of daily animal care and observations.
- Report numbers via email daily.
- Report changes or developments via email weekly.
- Run errands to purchase and pick up required animal food and supplies through local vendors which may require the use of personal vehicle (mileage reimbursed).
- Close, collegial cooperation with HMNS Sugar Land staff
- Regular communication and coordination with HMNS-SL Director on progress, schedules and expenses
Performance review will be conducted by the Live Animal Program Manager with input from the SL Director.
Applications due on or before July 12th, 2019
NOT ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.
Please email a letter of interest as well as an updated resume to Christine Battan via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected applicants will be asked to attend an onsite interview.
Questions should be directed to Christine Battan at email@example.com.
No phone calls or office visits.