Position: Planetarium/Discovery Dome Operator
Employment Status: Part Time
Reports to: VP, Astronomy & Physics
The Astronomy Department at the Houston Museum of Natural Science is looking for a Discovery Dome operator to set up and run the portable Discovery Dome. This person will also be trained to run the Burke Baker Planetarium if needed.
Responsibilities Include (But Are Not Limited To):
Transport, set up, and operation of the Discovery Dome. Working with teachers at schools to present shows and live star tours. Operate computer and sound systems for both Burke Baker and the Discovery Dome.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to quickly learn and aptly communicate new material in a compelling educational format.
- Basic knowledge in astronomy – or willingness to learn at the level of presenting to students and the public.
- Friendly personality, ability to work independently and to interact with students.
- Excellent oral communication skills (good clear speaking voice).
- Comfortable speaking in front of a crowd and able to hold the attention of an audience.
- Ability to learn how to operate DigiStar and at least rudimentary knowledge of how to use Windows and Microsoft software.
- Able to work weekend and evening hours, as necessary.
- Able to make minor repairs and trouble shoot problems independently.
- Able to lift 70 pounds, kneel and bend knees.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
Resumes and cover letters should be submitted to email@example.com.