|Position:||Museum Store Associate|
|Employment Status:||Part Time, Hourly. Up to 29 hours per week.|
|Pay Rate:||$9.50 per hour|
The Houston Museum of Natural Science’s Museum Store is looking for friendly and enthusiastic individuals with a passion for customer service to join our team! We are looking for someone who can take ownership of our brand and the many interesting and educational products while also generating a vital source of revenue for the museum. As a sales associate at HMNS, we will make sure you receive a thorough understanding of the unique and exciting treasures the museum store has to offer. We pride ourselves in offering exceptional customer service to our guests as we endeavor to build life-long and repeat customers. Individuals who excel in this role have the opportunity for internal promotions and the potential to initiate a strong career path in the Museum Store. Successful candidates will be curious, engaging, team oriented and guest focused.
Essential duties and positions include:
- Operate point of sale operating system to assist guests with store check-out.
- Ability to facilitate a cash and/or debit and credit card payment with accuracy for guest transactions.
- Remain knowledgeable and on existing and new merchandise. Including high end specialty items such as fossils, gems and minerals.
- Promote merchandise and maintain store displays and stock areas.
- Provide outstanding customer service, which includes: greeting customers, answering questions, and providing product information.
- Create a welcoming, safe and fun environment for our guests through outstanding service and guest assistance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Cash handling experience a plus.
- Bilingual a plus (Spanish/English).
- Ability to be in both stationary and circulating positions throughout shift for long periods of times.
- Available to work 2-3 days a week, including Saturday and/or Sunday.
- Ability to occasionally pick up special event evening shifts
- Moderate physical activity required. Capable of lifting at least 25 pounds.
- Ability to operate a desktop computer, mobile computer, scanner or other technical equipment.
- Should have good interpersonal and communication skills in order to speak to visitors and colleagues.
- Able to adjust to changing workflow from slow to a fast pace working environment, alert and able to respond quickly in an emergency.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- An interest in science and knowledge of gems, minerals and fossils a plus.
- Ability to arrive to work on time as scheduled.
- Relevant volunteer or work experience is preferred
- Must be at least 16 years old to apply
Perks of working at HMNS Include:
- Free HMNS INDIVIDUAL Membership
- Free access to Museum exhibits, Cockrell Butterfly Center, Burke Baker Planetarium and Giant Screen Theater and satellite facilities
- Discounted programming including museum summer camp.
- Free staff parking
- Flexible scheduling
- Predominately daytime hours (some evenings may be required)
*Application Instructions: Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org