James joined the Houston Museum of Natural Science family on July 21st 2011. His love for science and history are only matched by his enthusiasm of teaching. Before James joined the museum he worked as a supplemental instructor, lab assistant, tutor of geology and has been on many field excursions. He has also taught and has given presentations at a number of schools, career days, conferences and was a special guest on a webinar.
Within the Museum James’ official title is Customer Service Senior Lead. He trains the Discovery Guides and some of the volunteer docents. In addition to teaching Adult Education and Youth Education classes. On January 3rd, 2017 James was featured on the front-page of the Houston Chronicle with an article that was picked up later by the AP and was printed in the Washington Times.
James’ passion is contagious when he paints a mental image of the circumstances and story surrounding an item. James has a great blend of enthusiasm, excitement and humor which makes his tours enjoyable for everyone.
- Thank you so much for guiding my staff and me through the museum of Natural Science! Your incredible depth of knowledge and passion for science make it clear that this facility is a fantastic asset for Houston. Ellen R. Cohen City of Houston Council Member District C
- On Wednesday, a geologist friend and I were touring the new paleontology hall when we had a delightful encounter with Jurassic James, a member of your concierge staff. He was informed and charming and even took time to offer us some insights into other exhibits about which we expressed an interest. His enthusiasm is infectious and he is clearly knowledgeable. I wish we could clone him and put one of him in every science class in America. The museum is to be congratulated for encouraging James and others like him. He is a real asset to the museum. Felicia Eppley
- I had the most amazing experience last Friday. I had the pleasure of spending part of my day with James Washington III (Jurassic James). James guided me through the Faberge exhibit and the Morian Hall of Paleontology. I originally went to the Museum to see the Faberge exhibit, which was fantastic and thanks to James I learned so much and was in awe of the craftsmanship. But James blew me away with his tour of the Morian Hall of Paleontology. He was so knowledgeable, funny, and interesting. It was an incredible experience that I can’t stop talking about. Mary Saul Director, Marketing Analytics GDF SUEZ Energy Resources NA
- We had a guided tour with a large group of teenagers through the Paleontology hall a couple of weekends ago at noon with James Washington III (Jurassic James) and just wanted to give a huge ‘Thank You’ for now offering this tour service. It makes the museum’s already impressive collection of specimens that much richer and thought-provoking. I never enjoyed the pre-recorded audio tours at other museums because it failed to allow for questions, feedback or otherwise engage. This tour service goes above and beyond expectations. Ainsley Christianson Operations | Artisan | Analytics
- Our tour guide was Mr. James. He did a marvelous job explaining everything in a very professional and knowledgeable way. He made our trip to this museum a very good experience. Thanks. Alfredo Phegn
- Our tour guide James did an outstanding job at keeping the tour on the Hall of Ancient Egypt both entertaining and informative. Diego Pliego