- The Museum is so large; how can I focus my trip so my students get the most out of it?
Our new field trip packages allow teachers to theme their field trips based on a specific topic of their choice. Available on a first come, first serve basis, these packages help teachers align their trips to their curriculum goals.
- Can we see special/traveling exhibitions?
Absolutely! Visit our Exhibitions page for more information about what is currently on display.
- Are guided tours available?
Yes. Specially-trained docents are available to lead tours of the Museum’s permanent exhibit halls and deliver hands-on presentations with touch carts located in the exhibit halls. Docent-led tours available for schools and groups may be booked through the Box Office. Tours are approximately 30 – 45 minutes long, and two week notice is required.
- Cost: $15.00 per docent, one docent for every 10 people, including chaperones
- Time: 10 a.m. – Noon
- Can we bring lunches to HMNS?
Schools may bring their lunches, but lunches MUST be stored offsite or on the school bus. Due to the global pandemic, we are unable to accommodate the storage of lunches at this time. Schools may also preorder meals from Periodic Table, using this form or by calling 713-639-4699.
- Where do we eat lunch?
School groups may eat either on the bus, the hill between the Museum and Miller Outdoor Theater, or in Hermann Park. School groups may not eat lunch at McGovern Centennial Gardens.
- Does the Museum offer programs for younger children?
The Museum’s Early Investigations Program is geared specifically to 5 – 7 year-olds. This program combines a 45-minute, hands-on classroom program with a 45-minute tour of a Museum exhibit hall. Eight topics are available: Paleontology, Insect Zoo, Texas Wildlife, Native North Americans, Energy: Electricity, Africa Culture and Wildlife, Ancient Egypt, and Native Latin Americans. Two-weeks notice is required.
- Cost: $9.50 – $10.00 per person, includes admission to either Permanent Exhibit Halls OR Cockrell Butterfly Center
- Time: 10:00 – 11:30 am
- When: Monday-Friday, September-May (excluding December; limited June–August options are available)
- Max: 50 students plus chaperones
- Min: 10 students plus chaperones
- Are there any hands-on programs for students?
Bringing a group to HMNS or HMNS Sugar Land? Explore science, nature and history in our interactive science labs which feature specimens, artifacts and laboratory equipment. Each lab lasts one hour and accommodates up to 25 students. Lab costs range between $200 for a Monthly Scheduled Lab to $250 for a Lab on Demand or a Dissection Lab. A lab purchase includes admission to the Museum’s Permanent Exhibit Halls.
If your group is interested in scheduling a lab, please visit our Science Lab page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you have curriculum? What about the TEKS?
The Museum offers customized TEKS-based curriculum, available at hmns.org/curriculum to accompany your field trip. These free units are designed to make the field trip experience educationally sound and fun and include a TEKS-aligned knowledge hunt and extension activities for grades K-8. High school curriculum is available, with a two week notice, upon request.