Live giant millipedes, docile hissing cockroaches, stunning walking sticks and much more will amaze audiences in these hands-on, interactive presentations!
Bugs On Wheels: Amazing Arthropods brings a selection of living insects and other arthropods from the Cockrell Butterfly Center right into your classroom. Audiences of all ages will have a rare opportunity to meet the most unusual members of the insect world, while learning about their native habitats and unique adaptations for survival.
Discover the major insect orders, learn the parts of an arthropod, and make friends with a tarantula – all during one presentation!
New for 2018—Amazing Arthropods now features seven new variations below, highlighting special ecosystems and types of adaptations!
- Rainforest– Rainforests are home to the largest and most diverse concentration of arthropods on the planet! Explore how these animals – from predators to prey to decomposers, survive and interact with their environments.
- Desert– Scorching heat during the day, freezing temperatures at night, and often water is nowhere to be found. Arthropods must have pretty amazing adaptations to survive in this extreme habitat! Meet some incredible insects and learn how they thrive in the desert.
- Texas Bugs– Our great state includes examples of almost every type of habitat there is. We also have more different kinds of insects than any other state! We’ll introduce you to a few of the Lone Star State’s most fascinating natives.
- Camouflage, Mimicry, and Warning Coloration– In the world of bugs, it’s eat or be eaten. Arthropods have risen to this challenge with some of the most incredible displays of camouflage, mind-boggling mimicry, and brilliant bursts of color, which warn enemies to stay away or else! Meet walking sticks, mantises, grasshoppers and more.
- Carnivores – For many arthropods, meat is the only thing on the menu. We’ll introduce you to our most captivating carnivorous specimens and teach students about the adaptations which help these insects snag their next meal!
- Poison Vs. Venom – Knowing the difference between poison and venom can make a big difference when meeting creepy crawlies in the wild. Explore the differences with several cuddly and NOT so cuddly critters!
- Dazzling Defenses – Some arthropods have unique and downright bizarre defense mechanisms! Learn what great lengths they will go to in order protect themselves from predators.
- Add on a Wildlife On Wheels program and a presentation of Docents To Go: Oceans to create an Animal Adaptations package! Take a tour around Texas by focusing on Texas wildlife, Native Americans, renewable energy, and the stars over the Lone Star State in the Traversing Texas package! Or, focus on forensics with the Crime Scene Exploration package by adding a ConocoPhillips Science On Stage Cool Chemistry presentation!