Welcome to HMNS Summer Camps!
Parent’s guide to HMNS Summer Camp
The basics of what you need to know! To help you prepare you and your camper for your first day of camp, we have compiled this basic list of answers to some frequently asked questions including information about lunches, before/after camp care, directions and what to expect on your first day. Download the guide here.
You child’s safety, learning environment and fun are our biggest concerns during their week at our Museum. We hope that this information will help to ensure that both you and your child’s camp experience go smoothly.
Sign in/Sign Out
For safety reasons, your child must be signed into camp every day; you may not “drop” your child off. The sign-in-out card includes spaces for emergency contact numbers and a spot to indicate if someone other than you is authorized to pick up your child. In the event of an emergency, we want to have the most accurate information.
Summer is always a busy time at the Houston Museum of Natural Science! Please allow yourself some extra time when bringing your child to, and collecting your child from, our summer camps. We are continuing to address parking issues at the museum for our summer camp patrons and will continue to provide reserved and coned parking in the Museum Garage for the exclusive use of summer camp patrons during drop-off and pick-up. Also, for $30 a week we offer a curbside drop-off and pick-up service for summer campers. Please note the Drop-Off Pick-Up service is limited to 50 spots per week.
MUSEUM GARAGE PARKING PLAN FOR SUMMER 2020
The museum garage will have 80 parking spaces coned off and reserved exclusively to ensure that Summer Camp at HMNS Parents have an easier time finding/accessing open parking spaces in the garage during drop-off from 7:50 AM – 10:30 AM and pick-up from 2:00 PM-4:00 PM. The cones are placed in the morning with the ultimate objective of having reserved spaces for camp parents in the afternoon when the garage is near capacity. In the morning, Summer Camp at HMNS parents will be directed to a coned spot or an open parking spot. Moving cars along in the morning to open non-coned spaces is only done to prevent backup at the garage entrance. The garage attendants will direct you to a coned space in the morning if traffic is not backed up at the Museum Garage entrance. In the afternoon, Summer Camp at HMNS parents will be directed to a coned and reserved spot if available. The ultimate objective is to ensure that camp parents have access to a parking space in the garage and do not have to park elsewhere. Camp ends at 3:00pm and campers not enrolled in After Camp should be picked up by 3:25pm. After Camp hours are 3:30-5:30pm.
Please note that the HMNS parking garage fills quickly and is extremely busy during drop-off and pick-up times. We advise you to carpool and/or arrive early if you plan to use the Museum garage. Camper pick-up begins at 3:00 with a 25 minute grace period to address parking. Any child not picked up by 3:25 will be escorted to After Camp. Rest assured, we will keep your child safe until you arrive!
Summer Camps at HMNS is scheduled for the following weeks in 2020:
- Week of June 1-5, 2020
- Week of June 8-12, 2020
- Week of June 22-26, 2020
- Week of June 29-July 2, 2020 (Four day camp week, Monday-Thursday)
- Week of July 13-17, 2020
- Week of July 20-24, 2020
- Week of August 3-7, 2020
- Week of August 10-14, 2020
What to do:
- PLEASE PRINT the SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASS included with the email. If you do not have access to a printer, we will also have SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASSES available at the garage entrance on Monday during drop-off and pick-up time. SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASSES will also be available in the Education Office, at the Before Camp sign-in table, and in the classrooms during the week.
- DISPLAY the SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASS on the dash of your vehicle. It must be visible to HMNS staff in order to access reserved parking spaces.
- As parents enter the garage, staff will help direct parents with a SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASS into available parking spots.
- The reserved spaces are not intended for patrons staying at the museum for an extended period.
- PLEASE NOTE the SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASSES are dated. If you are signed up for multiple weeks of camp, you will receive a new SUMMER CAMP PARKING GARAGE PASS on the Thursday prior to your registered week of camp.
- PLEASE REMEMBER to pick up a blue PARKING GARAGE COUPON at drop off and pick up in the classrooms. The blue PARKING GARAGE COUPON gets you out of the museum parking garage free of charge. Please present a blue PARKING GARAGE COUPON to the attendant in the booth at the exit of the museum garage.
- Please provide feedback on your experience with this parking program. Please complete a Camper Comment Form on Thursday or Friday. While service does not guarantee a parking space for you in the museum garage, we hope it helps speed things along!
HMNS Summer Camp CAMPER DROP-OFF/PICK-UP CARPOOL SERVICE AVAILABLE IN SUMMER 2020
- Available to members of the museum exclusively
- $30 per week for a Summer Camps at HMNS Staff member to escort your camper to and from the camp classrooms and to ensure authorized pick-up and signature.
- Limited to 50 patrons per week
- Camper drop-off service not available on Monday mornings. Please utilize the museum garage or alternate parking, and escort your camper inside the museum to complete summer camp pick-up authorizations, order lunch, and orient yourself and your child to the camp layout.
- Camp patrons can purchase the service in advance online at hmns.org
- Limited quantities might be available on site the week of camp if not sold out online
- Camp patrons must be authorized to pick up designated camper, and all the names of campers to be picked up must be provided to the program coordinator at the time of purchase. Any changes to camper pickup must be communicated to the program coordinator no later than 1pm the day of service.
- Patrons using the service must display “Summer Camps at HMNS Carpool Pass” on their dash.
Summer Camps at HMNS will operate a camper drop-off and pick-up line during the weeks Summer Camps at HMNS is in session. This service will be limited to members of the museum. We will offer 50 “Summer Camps at HMNS Carpool Passes” per week when summer camp is in session. The service will be available to purchase online at hmns.org.
Summer Camps at HMNS patrons utilizing the Summer Camps at HMNS Drop/off and Pick/up line service will need to display the Summer Camps at HMNS CARPOOL PASS on their dash. The specific location of the carpool line and additional details will be available at hmns.org soon.
- We highly recommend you utilize the alternate parking areas if you plan to arrive at 3 p.m.
- Additional Free parking options include:
- Free 3-hour parking lot in the new Garden Center (Lot C)
- Metered parking on the streets around the Museum District
- Free 3-hour parking lot directly off the Circle, by the statue of Sam Houston (Lot A)
- Free-daily parking near the Zoo (Lots D, E, F, G, and H)
- Additional Paid Parking Options (At your own cost):
- Metered parking around the Museum District Museum Medical Tower
- Children’s Museum
- Holocaust Museum parking lot
- The MetroRail – The “Museum District”stop is only 3 blocks from HMNS.
View an Area Parking Map.
Lunch at Houston Museum of Natural Science main museum location in Hermann Park:
We are thrilled to have Sodexo as our partner providing new dining options at the Houston Museum of Natural Science main museum location. Sodexo is introducing Catering by Periodic Table which will include limited box lunch options from the Periodic Table Café.
Does my child need to bring a lunch?
Camper’s may bring a lunch or pre-order a meal to be delivered by Catering by Periodic Table.
What do campers do during lunch time?
Campers ages 6 -12 are supervised in their camp room while they eat lunch. Campers eat their lunch while watching an educational video. No videos or movies are shown during instructional time.
How do I order a lunch for my child from Catering by Periodic Table at the main museum location?
To order a lunch for your child from Catering by Periodic Table Café at the Hermann Park location, please visit here and place the order online by 5pm the day before the lunch is to be delivered. For questions, please call Catering by Periodic Table at 713-639-4699.
Lunch at Houston Museum of Natural Science Sugar Land
Does my child need to bring a lunch?
For campers attending the HMNS Sugar Land location you can order a lunch with Chick-Fil-A™ or bring a lunch from home.
What do campers do during lunch time?
Campers ages 6 -12 are supervised in their camp room while they eat lunch. Campers eat their lunch while watching an educational video. No videos or movies are shown during instructional time. Campers are not permitted to purchase a meal during supervised lunchtime.
How do I order a lunch for my child from Chick-Fil-ATM at the Sugar Land location?
A Chick-Fil-ATM representative will be available at HMNS Sugar Land on Monday mornings from 8-10:15AM. Orders are cash only. Order information and menu options are available here or onsite at HMNS at Sugar Land.
Get your Camper their own Summer Camps at HMNS t-shirt to remember their Summer Science Adventures at the Houston Museum of Natural Science!
T-shirts will be available for purchase during camp for $10 (cash and check only).
Bringing valuables like music players, electronic games, cell phones, etc. to camp for use during lunchtime, before and after camp is at the discretion of the parent and HMNS is not responsible for loss or damage to camper’s valuables.
We are happy to accommodate children with disabilities and special needs. Please notify the the Director of Summer Camp of your child’s disabilities and special needs PRIOR to your child’s first day of camp.
Help us help your child by completing the HMNS Summer Camper Health Record Form and notifying us of any disabilities, allergies, accessibility concerns, behavioral, psychological or emotional concerns, or any other special needs.
While we strive to offer these camps to as a wide a range of children as possible, it is not possible for us to offer one-on-one care. In the case of severe food allergies, it is not possible for us to monitor what other children bring to camp.
The Museum is NOT responsible for administering medication to children. please consult a pediatrician about altering the child’s dosage so that medication can be administered outside of camp hours.
Teachers review camper expectations on Monday. The following expectations are posted in the classrooms:
- Listen and follow instructions
- Participate in camp activities
- Respect others
- Respect property
- Have fun learning!
In case of severe behavior problems, we will call you and ask you to pick up your child. At our discretion, your child may be allowed to return to camp the following day.
Please call the Education office at 713-639-4651 or 713-693-4625 and a staff member will deliver your message to the appropriate person.
Your comments and suggestions regarding our Summer Camps at HMNS are essential to improving our programs. Please complete and return the Comment Form that is distributed on Thursdays, or email comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.