You don’t need to be an expert, just interested! Our fun and comprehensive program teaches all you need to know in order to feel confident with visitors and students in the HMNS exhibition halls. You’ll get to meet smart and interesting people, learn about a variety of subjects, and become an integral part of one of the nation’s most visited museums!
In order to become a volunteer at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years or older.
- Represent the Museum, at all times, in an appropriate and responsible manner. This includes acting as a member of the Museum team when working with other volunteers and staff, and dressing appropriately, in accordance with your particular job or activity.
- Be prompt and reliable in reporting for assignments, tours, meetings, and training sessions. If unable to report, volunteers must make arrangements with someone on the substitute list (if applicable), or call the Volunteer Office and let the staff know.
- Attend an orientation session, as well as complete 12 hours of training before they are able to become volunteers. Volunteers are then asked to make a one-year commitment of at least 4 hours of volunteering a month.
- Should you decide to conclude volunteering, inform the Volunteer Office and return your museum badge to the Volunteer Office. Understand that irregular attendance, poor performance, or failure to adhere to Museum rules may be interpreted as a volunteer’s desire to resign.
Please note: Due to the request for a one-year minimum volunteer commitment, HMNS does not provide hours for community service or hours for volunteer service projects.
Meet the requirements and are ready to get started? Fill Out The Form Below!
Due to summer break, we will not hold orientation until August. If you are interested in volunteering and would like to be notified when the August orientation is scheduled, please make a comment in the form below.