|Position:||Animal Care Technician – Hermann Park|
|Employment Status:||Part-Time, Hourly|
|Reports to:||Animal Care Team and Youth Education Programs Facilitator|
|Pay Rate:||$10.75 per hour|
The Education Department at the Houston Museum of Natural seeks to provide both children and adults with unique learning experiences and hands on activities. Our Wildlife on Wheels program provides an in person encounter with some of our live animal collection, ranging from horseshoe crabs to rainbow boas. As such, we are looking for individuals to assist with the care and keeping of these animals including daily habitat maintenance, diet preparation, and care of our animals on exhibit. As part of the job duties, techs will be fully trained in our husbandry techniques and proper animal handling.
- Having or perusing a degree in biology or previous experience in caring for a variety of animals
- Must have access to reliable transportation to perform the functions of the job.
- Be comfortable handling and feeding live animals including snakes, lizards, frogs, mice,
cockroaches and tarantulas using proper tools and have the ability to lift heavy objects (40 lbs).
- Be organized, observant, reliable and ready to ask questions.
- Prepared to work with others on a small animal care team as well as individually
- Available to work 3-5 days a week, including Saturday and/or Sunday (up to 21 hours/week)
- Must be at least 18 years old to apply
- Must comply with the museum’s COVID-19 protocols.
- Assist in the coordination and care of a wide range of small native and exotic animals on a daily basis including reptiles, amphibians, birds, small mammals, fish, marine
animals, insects and arachnids. This work involves feeding and handling animals and cleaning habitats.
- Maintain a sanitary and organized animal facility as well as accurate records of animal care and observations.
- Maintain classroom and exhibit hall aquaria/terraria.
- Purchase and pick up required animal food and supplies through local vendors and transport animals to and from veterinarian, which may require the use of personal vehicle (mileage reimbursed).
- Adequate record keeping and recording observations of animal behaviors
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work environment and assist with pest control, as needed
Please send a letter of interest as well as an updated resume to Lane Mitchell and
Stephanie Bradberry via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide any references applicable to this position. Accepted applicants will be asked to attend an onsite or virtual interview.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.