|Employment Status:||Full-Time Hourly, Non-Exempt|
|Department:||Exhibits / Projects|
|Reports to:||Director of Exhibits, Wiess Energy Hall / Welch Matter & Motion|
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is seeking an experienced Design Assistant with a broad skill set to assist in the development of museum exhibits and themed environments. The position will require applicants to be highly detail oriented, professional, proficient and flexible.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary creative team of directors, exhibit professionals and subcontractors
- Work with our in-house designers to create compelling and strategic design
- Have production knowledge to create files quickly
- Interact with project director and lead designers to develop technical drawings and renders
- Operate efficiently under time constraints, multi-task, adapt and meet deadlines
- Prioritize workload and communicate issues to ensure on time project completion
- Prepare and collaborate on visual presentations for the clear communication of creative intent.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of work experience in a museum or design+build related field
- Professional working knowledge of Google, Microsoft, and Adobe suites
- Strong communication, conceptual thinking, illustration and design skills
- Proven background in 3D design (Adobe, Autodesk, 3dsMax, AutoCAD, Inventor, SketchUp, and Rhino)
- Understanding and knowledge of basic fabrication techniques and methodologies
- Previous experience in experiential or thematic industry is a plus
- Ability to produce excellent work quickly with attention to detail and accuracy
- Be self-managed and disciplined to meet and exceed expectations
- Take design direction from stakeholders, creative team, and department director
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds, sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to operate a desktop computer, mobile computer or other technical equipment
- Must be able to arrive to work on time
- Must have a proven track record of reliable punctuality and attendance
- Must comply with the museum’s COVID-19 protocols
Resumes will be accepted through Friday, April 14, 2023 and can be submitted in the following ways:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail to HR Department, HMNS, 5555 Hermann Park Drive, Houston, Texas, 77030
- In-person by dropping off your application materials c/o HR at the Museum Service desk at HMNS in Hermann Park
No phone calls, please.
HMNS does not to respond to inquiries regarding application status.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is an EEO Employer.