|Employment Status:||Part time, Hourly, Seasonal-Summer|
|Department:||Cockrell Butterfly Center|
|Reports to:||Manager of the Butterfly Center|
|Pay Rate:||$11.00 per hour|
HMNS is home to the Cockrell Butterfly Center which consists of a three-story rainforest terrarium and insect zoo, as well as greenhouses and containment room which are not open to the public. This internship is specifically for college students pursuing a career in horticulture or a related field.
The Horticulture Intern assists museum staff in caring for and maintaining our extensive live plant collection inside our rainforest exhibit, greenhouses, and various gardens on the museum grounds. This internship focuses on plant husbandry, USDA regulations and science interpretation to the public. This position includes work in a typical office, outdoors, public exhibition areas and off-site locations.
This internship is sponsored by the Garden club of Houston. At the conclusion of the internship, the intern is required to provide a short report on the internship experience to the Garden Club of Houston, as well as any requirements of the student’s institution. A written evaluation by the Cockrell Butterfly Center manager will be sent to the Garden Club of Houston and the student’s institution.
Course credit: We encourage applicants to investigate whether this internship can count for course credit at your institution.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Care and maintain plants in our greenhouses, gardens and rainforest exhibit; included tasks are watering, propagation, fertilization, IPM practices, planting and removing plants
- Maintain exhibit spaces
- Keep records of plant care and maintenance
- Assist other butterfly center staff with projects
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in horticulture techniques
- Knowledge of horticulture and biology
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Currently enrolled in a college or university in a horticulture-related major
- Able to work designated weekends, holidays and evenings
- Able to work in outdoor conditions
- Able to bend, stoop and lift/carry up to 50 pounds
- Able to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Must have reliable transportation to get to museum and other off-site locations
- Must be able to arrive to work on time.
- Must have a proven track record of reliable punctuality and attendance
- Must comply with the museum’s COVID-19 protocols
Perks of Working at HMNS Include:
- Free access to museum exhibits, Butterfly Center, Planetarium, Giant Screen Theater and satellite facilities
- Discounted programming including museum summer camp
- Free staff parking
- Staff discount in the Museum Store
Resumes will be accepted through April 14, 2023 and can be submitted in the following ways:
- By email to email@example.com
- By mail to HR Department, HMNS, 5555 Hermann Park Drive, Houston, Texas, 77030
- In-person by dropping off your application materials c/o HR at the Museum Service desk at HMNS in Hermann Park
No phone calls, please.
HMNS does not to respond to inquiries regarding application status.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is an EEO Employer.