Salary: $9.50 per hour
Hours: 25-30 hours per week | Monday – Friday 12:00pm- 6:00pm
Dates: May 24 – August 13, 2021
Supervisor: Jayme Schlimper, Curator of Education Collections, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is offering an internship and learning opportunity as the After Camp Coordinator in the Youth Education Programs Department as part of the HMNS Summer Camp program. The After Camp Coordinator will work with Youth Education staff as a member of the HMNS Summer Camp team. The intern will be supervised and mentored by the Curator of Education Collections. The HMNS After Camp Coordinator is responsible for organizing and supervising the After Camp program. The Coordinator must be organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, reliable, and ready to ask questions. Coordinating the After Camp program includes scheduling teachers and teaching assistants and working closely with the Before Camp Coordinator to maintain consistency between Before Camp and After Camp programming. Customer service is a key element to this position as the Coordinator will interact with campers ages 6-12, teachers, teaching assistants, museum staff, parents, and museum patrons.
As a museum employee, the intern will have access to the Houston Museum of Natural Science’s exhibit halls as well as special exhibitions, Burke Baker Planetarium shows, Wortham Giant Screen Theatre films, the Cockrell Butterfly Center, distinguished lectures, and a staff discount in the museum’s gift shop.
- Scheduling teachers and teaching assistants for After Camp during each camp week
- Support the HMNS team, including working with the Before Camp Coordinator to schedule teachers and teaching assistants
- Coordinate purchasing and distribution of materials needed for the After Camp Program
- Help maintain an organized system of purchases so that an accurate materials budget can be compiled easily at the end of the summer
- Work with Summer Camp Resource Coordinator and education staff in Education Collections when available
- Work with information gathered from previous coordinators to develop a set of guidelines for teachers who work in each extended day classroom as well as an outline of duties for coordinators in years to come
- Effective communication and problem solving with teachers and teaching assistants regarding camp logistics
- Interact with museum patrons, camp parents, and campers in a professional and accommodating demeanor
The ideal candidate is organized, reliable, works well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, and takes initiative when necessary. An interest in youth education, particularly in a museum setting, is preferred. Those interested in organizational aspects of large, nonprofit program management are encouraged to apply. Experience in customer service, youth education, or nonprofits is ideal.
- Must be a full time university student as of Spring 2021 returning as a full time student in Fall 2021.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and PC platforms.
- Intern must have access to an insured, reliable vehicle for use during work hours and must provide a driving record.
- Intern must have at least a basic knowledge of Houston Museum District area.
- Intern must be comfortable lifting large items, approximately 40 lbs.
Family members of current or former employees or board members of the Houston Museum of Natural Science are ineligible for this internship.
Please send a letter of interest along with a current resume to Jayme Schlimper via email at email@example.com, no phone calls please. Accepted applications will be asked to complete an additional application form and attend an onsite interview. All application materials are due by March 5, 2021 at 5pm. Incomplete applications will not be considered.