|Position:||Summer Camp Teacher|
|Employment Status:||Part-Time Hourly (30-39 hours per week)|
|Supervisor||Director of Summer Camps|
|Pay Rate:||$22.00 per hour|
HMNS has earned the reputation of Houston’s top summer enrichment experiences in the Houston area. A robust catalog covering a wide range of science topics are geared for children ages six to twelve. Summer Camp 2023 runs May 30 to August 11 at the main campus in Hermann Park, and from May 30 to August 4 at our Sugar Land location. Virtual camps are also offered. The complete catalog is available here online.
Summer Camp Teachers lead the Museum’s Summer Camp programs and/or Summer Scout classes. Primarily in a classroom setting, teachers engage children through hands-on learning activities. Some camps include activities in the museum’s exhibit halls or theaters. Teachers direct volunteer and paid teaching assistants to organize classroom materials and projects.
This position reports to the Director of Summer Camps in the Education Department.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage classroom according to curriculum and training
- Interact and work with campers of various ages in an encouraging manner
- Interact with camp parents in a professional and accommodating demeanor
- Communicate with children, teenagers and adults
- Organize classroom materials and projects
- Manage teaching assistants and ensure they are engaged in productive work
- Ensure proper sign in and sign out of campers
- Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times
- Maintain a safe and fun learning environment
- Learn and use campers’ names and correct pronouns
- Present hands-on lessons and activities in a fun and exciting manner
- Review and be prepared to deliver provided curriculum
- Answer patron and parent/guardian questions or refer them to the appropriate staff member
- Follow all safety guidelines for activities
- Other duties and responsibilities outlined in training or as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Interest in teaching and education, as well as science, natural history and related fields
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Demonstrate initiative
- Must be at least 18 years old by May 31, 2023
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Certified classroom teacher or relevant professional work experience
- Classroom teaching experience
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Must be able to arrive to work on time
- Must comply with the museum’s Health & Safety Protocols outlined in training
- Must comply with the museum’s COVID-19 protocols
- Must attend a mandatory training and orientation session in May 2023
Perks of Working at HMNS Include:
- Free access to museum exhibits, Butterfly Center, Burke Baker Planetarium and Giant Screen Theater, and satellite facilities
- Discounted museum programming including Summer Camp
- Free staff parking
- Staff discount in the Museum Store
All application components must be received by HMNS by March 24, 2023:
- Online Application Form completed by applicant
- Resume emailed to email@example.com by applicant
- Two letters of recommendation from different individuals emailed by references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of recommendation must be from teachers or supervisors who have worked with you before. Letters must not be from a relative or an HMNS employee.
After all materials are received, you may be invited to an interview.
You will be notified via email by April 14, 2023 if you have been accepted for the position or not
No phone calls, please.
HMNS does not to respond to inquiries regarding application status.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is an EEO Employer.