|Position:||Summer Camp Resource Coordinator|
|Employment Status:||Part-Time Hourly, Seasonal Internship
25-30 hours per week (Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m.-3:15 p.m.)
|Dates:||May 22 – August 11, 2023|
|Pay Rate:||$12.50 per hour|
|Reports to:||Curator of Education Collections|
HMNS has earned the reputation of Houston’s top summer enrichment experiences in the Houston area. A robust catalog covering a wide range of science topics are geared for children ages six to twelve. Summer Camp 2023 runs May 30 to August 11 at the main campus in Hermann Park, and from May 30 to August 4 at our Sugar Land location. Virtual camps are also offered. The complete catalog is available here online.
The Summer Camp Resource Coordinator helps to coordinate and organize the educational supplies used for Summer Camp classes, which serve over 500 children each week. This individual must be organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, reliable and ready to ask questions. This internship provides the opportunity to learn about and get involved with other aspects of the Education Department’s summer programming.
This position reports to the Curator of Education Collections in the Education Department.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the purchase, organization and distribution of materials for over 20 camp classes each week, including trips to local stores to purchase supplies
- Become familiar with the Education Collection procedures, materials and staff
- Prepare camp supplies, including printing, laminating and die-cutting
- Update and reorganize supply lists according to specific camp’s curriculum
- Communicate and coordinate with teachers, teaching assistants and other museum staff regarding camp logistics
- Interact with camp parents and campers in a professional and accommodating demeanor
- Problem-solve as questions and issues arise
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Organized and reliable
- Works well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, and takes initiative when necessary
- An interest in youth education and nonprofits, particularly in a museum setting, is preferred. Those interested in organizational aspects of large, nonprofit program management are encouraged to apply.
- Experience in customer service is ideal as it is a key element of this position which interacts with campers ages 6-17, parents and museum patrons.
- Must be a full-time college student as of spring 2023 returning as a full-time student in fall 2023
- Should have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and PC platforms
- Must have driver’s license and access to an insured, reliable vehicle for use during work hours
- Must provide a driving record
- Must be able to lift large items up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to walk and stand for long periods of time
- Must comply with the museum’s COVID-19 protocols
- Eligibility Restrictions: Family members of current or former employees or board members of the Houston Museum of Natural Science are not eligible for this internship.
Perks of Working at HMNS Include:
- Free access to museum exhibits, Butterfly Center, Burke Baker Planetarium and Giant Screen Theater, and satellite facilities
- Discounted programming including museum summer camp
- Free staff parking
- Staff discount in the Museum Store
Resumes will be accepted through March 4, 2023, and can be submitted in the following ways:
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
No phone calls, please
You will be notified via email by April 14, 2023, if you have been accepted for the position or not.
HMNS does not to respond to inquiries regarding application status.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is an EEO Employer.