Salary: $9.50 per hour
Hours: 35 hours per week | Monday – Friday 7:45am-3:15pm
Dates: May 24 – August 13, 2021
Supervisors: Jayme Schlimper, Curator of Education Collections, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is offering an internship and learning opportunity as the Summer Camp Resource Coordinator in the Youth Education Programs Department. The Summer Camp Resource Coordinator will work with Youth Education staff as a member of the Summer Camp team. The intern will be supervised and mentored by the Curator of Education Collections. The intern will primarily be responsible for coordinating and organizing the educational collection used for Summer Camp classes, which serve over 500 children each week. The intern will also have the opportunity to learn about and get involved with other aspects of the Youth Education Programs Department’s summer programming.
As a museum employee, the intern will have access to the Houston Museum of Natural Science’s exhibit halls as well as special exhibitions, Burke Baker Planetarium shows, Wortham Giant Screen Theatre films, the Cockrell Butterfly Center, distinguished lectures, and a staff discount in the museum’s gift shop.
- Coordinate the purchase, organization, and distribution of materials for over 20 camp classes each week including trips to local stores to purchase supplies using a museum corporate card
- Work with supervisor to maintain an organized system of purchases and supplies to ensure an accurate materials budget can be compiled easily at the end of the summer
- Assist in the planning, organizing, and implementation of additional programs such as museum overnights, outreach, and other miscellaneous youth education programming as applicable
- Familiarity with the Education Collection held by the HMNS Youth Education Department Regular meetings with supervisor to discuss challenges as well as current and future projects and areas of interest
- Support the Summer Camp staff including active participation in staff meetings
- Effective communication and problem solving with teachers and teaching assistants regarding materials and logistics
- Interact with museum patrons, camp parents, and campers in a professional and accommodating demeanor
- The goal of the Houston Museum of Natural Science is to provide an internship with a challenging project that allows students to develop professional skills while working with trained museum educators, interacting with professional Museum staff, and contributing to the mission of the Youth Education Department as well as the Museum as a whole. The Intern will also have the opportunity to learn about the importance of non-profit service in a Museum environment.
- This internship will further the goals of the Youth Education Programs Department by supporting our team as we work to meet our educational mission through Summer Camps. Specifically, the intern’s work in Education Collections as the Summer Camp Resource Coordinator will ensure we meet our budgetary goals as the intern supports the staff in keeping diligent records of collections materials and related expenses.
- The intern will develop and strengthen skills in organization, communication, and management.
The ideal candidate is organized, reliable, works well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, and takes initiative when necessary. An interest in youth education, particularly in a museum setting, is preferred. Those interested in organizational aspects of large, nonprofit program management are encouraged to apply. Experience in customer service, youth education, or nonprofits is ideal.
The intern must be able to meet required deadlines. The intern will also be asked to drive to nearby stores to acquire supplies using Museum purchase orders and corporate cards. The intern must be a full-time undergraduate student as of Spring 2021 returning as a full-time student in Fall 2021. The intern must have access to an insured, reliable vehicle for use during work hours and must provide a driving record. They must also be comfortable lifting up to 40 pounds.
Family members of current or former employees or board members of the Houston Museum of Natural Science are ineligible for this internship.
Please send a letter of interest along with a current resume to Jayme Schlimper via email at email@example.com, no phone calls please. Accepted applications will be asked to complete an additional application form and attend an onsite interview. All application materials are due by March 5, 2021 at 5pm. Incomplete applications will not be considered.