|Position:||Summer Camp Teacher Assistant|
|Employment Status:||Part-Time Hourly|
|Supervisor||Teaching Assistant / Pre-Service Teacher Coordinator|
|Pay Rate:||$12.00 per hour|
HMNS has earned the reputation of Houston’s top summer enrichment experiences in the Houston area. A robust catalog covering a wide range of science topics are geared for children ages six to twelve. Summer Camp 2023 runs May 30 to August 11 at the main campus in Hermann Park, and from May 30 to August 4 at our Sugar Land location. Virtual camps are also offered. The complete catalog is available here online.
Summer Camp Teaching Assistants work in the classrooms of the museum’s Summer Camp program and/or the Summer Scout program. Individuals in this position interact with children, organize classroom materials and projects, and generally assist teachers.
This position reports to assigned Teaching Assistant / Pre-Service Teacher Coordinator in the Education Department.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact and work with campers of various ages in an encouraging manner
- Interact with camp parents in a professional and accommodating demeanor
- Organize classroom materials and projects
- Assist summer camp teachers
- Communicate with children, teenagers and adults
- Complete other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Interest in teaching and education, as well as science, natural history and related fields
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Demonstrate initiative
- Previous participation as a Houston Museum of Natural Science volunteer is an advantage
- Must be at least 16 years old by May 31, 2023
- Must be a high school or college student
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Must be able to arrive to work on time
- Must comply with the museum’s Health & Safety Protocols outlined in training
- Must comply with the museum’s COVID-19 protocols
- Must attend a mandatory training and orientation session in May 2023
All application components must be received by HMNS by March 24, 2023:
- Online Application Form completed by applicant
- Resume emailed to email@example.com by applicant
- One letter of recommendation emailed by a reference to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letter of recommendation must be from a teacher or supervisor who has worked with you before. Letters must not be from a relative or an HMNS employee.
After all materials are received, you may be invited to an interview.
You will be notified via email by April 14, 2023 if you have been accepted for the position or not.
No phone calls, please.
HMNS does not to respond to inquiries regarding application status.
The Houston Museum of Natural Science is an EEO Employer.