Position: Youth Education Programs Facilitator
Employment Status: Full-Time Hourly
Department: Youth Education Programs
Reports to: Director of Youth Education
The Education Department at the Houston Museum of Natural Science strives to provide an inspirational learning environment, promote scientific inquiry as a mode of thinking, and to engage children in the wonders of science.
The Education Programs Facilitator will be responsible for delivering exceptional educational and promotional experiences in a wide range of situations. As one of the most visible faces of the Museum in the community, the Programs Facilitator will be responsible for representing the Museum in the best way possible by providing a high-quality educational experience for students and other audience members as well as outstanding customer service.
Youth Education Programs Facilitator will be responsible for delivering educational programs, as assigned, on a regular basis. This will require the ability to handle live animals, live insects, and chemicals safely in and around groups of all ages, as well as the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. As part of regular duties, the Youth Education Programs Facilitator will facilitate birthday parties on Saturdays, teach in weekday labs as assigned, teach summer camps as necessary, deliver Outreach programs and facilitate HMNS Member and family programming, such as Pajama Party and HMNS at Home. As such, the Program Facilitator will be trained to deliver all programs and topics as the occasion arises.
Occasionally the Youth Education Programs Facilitator will represent the Museum at a variety of community and educational functions including, but not limited to, Outreach programs, local festivals, internal Member events and conventions. These programs or some portion of them may be delivered at a school or community function, at Community events, such as the Art Car Parade or internally at Museum events such as G.E.M.S. or Member Appreciation events. As such, the Facilitator should be prepared to answer a wide range of questions about the Museum.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Stellar educational presentation skills for groups of up to 250
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn and communicate new material in a compelling educational format
- Must work Saturdays and, occasionally, evening hours as assigned
- Commitment to providing stellar customer service to patrons both in the Museum and in the community
- Comfortable occasionally lifting large items, approximately 50 lbs
- Frontline Operations support as needed.
- Other Duties as Assigned
Ideal candidate will be/have:
- Be trained in and deliver all educational programs as needed
- Knowledgeable of and be able to promote educational programs and Membership benefits at the Museum
- Interested in and enthusiastic about various topics covered in the Museum exhibitions and programing
- First-hand experience in educational programming at the Museum
- First-hand experience in early childhood education in general
- Well organized and able to prioritize tasks and time
- People oriented, respectful and friendly
- Enjoys problem-solving
- Flexible, personable and able to multi-task
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Background in or experience with science, history or education
- A college graduate in a related field
- Access to reliable vehicle, driver’s license
- Access to a smart phone during work hours with reception in the Museum
- Spanish speaker
- To apply, email completed application with resume on or before June 21, 2021 YEP Facilitator – General for PDF.
- Applications will be accepted in the following ways:
- Electronically via email@example.com
- By mail. Please mail the materials to Human Resources, 5555 Hermann Park Drive, Houston, Texas, 77030
- In-person by dropping of your application materials c/o Human Resources at the Museum Service desk at HMNS in Hermann Park.
- No phone calls, please.
- Due to the high volume of people who may apply, we are not able to respond to specific inquiries regarding your application status.
- The museum is committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff to serve the needs of our visitors. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.