Classes follow the same guidelines as the BSA and Girl Scouts, as applicable, and are generally based on the grade that the Scout will be attending in the fall.
- Scouts BSA: 6th grade – 17 years old:
- Webelos: 4th – 5th grade;
- Bears: 3rd grade;
- Wolves: 2nd grade,
- Tigers: 1st grade
- Girl Scouts: Daisy: K – 1st grade;
- Brownies: 2nd – 3rd grade;
- Juniors: 4th – 5th grade;
- Cadettes: 6th – 8th grade
- Seniors: 9th – 10th grade
IN PERSON SUMMER SCOUT CLASSES AT HMNS
HMNS Summer In-Person Scout Classes are badge classes for Scouts BSA and Girl Scouts. Week-long, two-day, and one-day classes are scheduled for the summer. Week-long classes include numerous badges, and two and one-day classes focus on one badge. Class hours are 10 AM – 3 PM. Extended care is available for an additional fee, before class begins each day, from 8 – 10 am, and after class ends, from 3 – 5:30 pm. Please Note: Summer Scouts Extended Day is not available at the Sugar Land Museum.
- Girl Scout, Cub Scouts, and Webelos DO NOT NEED PERMISSION from their troop or pack to take a class.
- Scouts BSA MUST GET PERMISSION from their Scoutmaster before starting work on a merit badge. If a Scout takes a class without the Scoutmaster’s approval, they may not be given credit for the work. HMNS will not issue a refund in such circumstances.
- For Scouts BSA classes, HMNS issues pre-printed “BLUE CARDS”, the official BSA form for Merit Badge Counselors, detailing the requirements completed by the Scout during class and verified by the Merit Badge Counselor. For Eagle-required merit badges, a Blue Card signed by the Scoutmaster is required for the Scout to take the class. If the Scout does not have a Blue Card signed by their Scoutmaster for an Eagle-required merit badge, the Scout may not be permitted by their troop to receive credit for the class. HMNS will not issue a refund in this instance. Scouts are responsible for submitting the completed blue cards to their troop after completion of the class.
- Some classes have PREREQUISITES that need to be completed prior to attending class and/or homework assignments during the week. Worksheets for these prerequisites are coming soon here on the Scouts at HMNS website. When available, please download these worksheets and have your Scout bring the completed worksheets to class and turn them in to the Merit Badge Counselor. Homework should be completed and turned in by the due date provided by the Merit Badge Counselor. At the end of class, any incomplete work (partials) will need to be completed by the Scout afterwards and verified by the Scout Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org for merit badge credit.
- Texas law requires that a health record, (SCOUT HEALTH RECORD FORM, immunizations or medical affidavit) to be on file prior to the start of class on Monday for any child participating in HMNS programming. A PERMISSION SLIP, which informs parents about where, when, and how the class is going, is required when Scouts leave HMNS property, including trips by bus, METRO light rail, and on foot. Both documents give HMNS staff permission to authorize medical treatment in case of an emergency. Forms will be available soon here at hmns.org/scouts for Scout Health Forms and Permission Slips.
- For Scouts BSA, daily class ATTENDANCE is required to complete the merit badges. A Scout cannot make up a class by attending another session without registering for the full week. If a Scout misses a class, they will need to meet with their Merit Badge Counselor to find out what they missed and if there is a possibility to make up the work, depending on the activities missed. The Merit Badge Counselors may assign homework for the Scout to complete. If a Scout does not make up the missed work, they will get a partial on their Blue Card.
- A parent must accompany the scout to the classroom on the first day of class. For summer classes, you do not need to check in at the box office; go directly to the classroom on the Lower Level. It is helpful to bring the registration confirmation printout. Classroom doors open at 9:40 AM on Monday or first day and 9:45 AM Tuesday-Friday, class starts at 10:00 AM Expect to spend about 10-15 minutes for the check in process on the first day of class. The Teaching Assistant will collect scout health forms and permission slips, and your child’s name and emergency information will be added to the sign-in card.
- For SIGN OUT, Scouts who are in SCOUTS BSA, CADETTE Girl Scouts, or SENIOR Girl Scouts may be given permission by a guardian to sign themselves in and out of class. At the main museum, Scouts will be released at 3:00 and escorted up to the entrance, near the Butterfly Center on Hermann Park Drive. Parents will pick up their child from this location only and will not be able to park in this loading area. All scouts who have not been picked up by 3:45, will be escorted back to extended day and parent will have to come in and sign them out of class. A parent must be present on the first day of class in the classroom to give permission for their scout to check themselves in and out.
- Extended Day self-checkout for SCOUTS BSA or CADETTE GIRL SCOUTS: due to poor phone reception on the lower level of the museum, parents will need to call the scout office at 713-639-4631, before their child can be released. Please have a designated location for picking up your scout that you have discussed with them beforehand.
- PLEASE REVIEW THE SUMMER PROGRAMS CATALOG LINKED AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE FOR CLASS DESCRTRIPTIONS, PRICING, REGISTRATION, OPERATIONS AND DISCOUNTS.
2021 HMNS Summer Scouts In Person Class Schedule Available Soon
HMNS Summer Scout In Person Classes will be held at the main museum location the weeks of:
- June 14-18
- July 6-9 (Four Day Class Week, Tuesday-Friday)
- July 26-30
HMNS Summer Scout In Person Classes will be held at the Sugar Land museum the weeks of:
- June 7-11
- June 28-July 2
- July 19-23
- August 9 and 10
Email email@example.com for more information.
Not a Member? Check out our Member Benefits – including the opportunity to register early for summer camp!